1.18.2008

Lessons Learned, My Children


Lately I've learned a few things about myself and the universe which I thought I'd share. I was kind of inspired by Learning to Love You More's project on giving advice to yourself at a younger age. This is advice for me, for you, for anyone. Musings, away!

one. Do not eat dark chocolate in bed. It will stain the sheets worse than period blood and it will never, ever come out. Then you will have to buy new sheets AGAIN, even though you just did because a lamp exploded and got glass stuck in all of your old bedding. Sheets are expensive. Don't ever buy white ones, even though they seem really "rich" and like you live in a hotel. You will live to regret this decision.

b. Don't dismiss something just because it's popular. Sometimes, these things are popular for a reason - because they're really good. You will learn later in life that Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin and Neil Young are actually pretty awesome, and that you missed out on a crucial driving around soundtrack in high school/college just because you were way too much of a pretentious turd to appreciate these bands in your youth, and instead chose to devote yourself to, like, Portishead or some crap like that.

3. Things that matter one day really don't matter the next. Stuff I cared about or thought was cool two years ago really couldn't be further from my mindset at this point. Don't assume that just because something didn't happen the way you wanted at one point, that it messes everything else up in the future. I'm not a hippy-dippy person by any means, but I do believe that things happen for a reason. If I give the universe any credit, this is it.

iv. Grow out your hair just once in your life. Girl or boy - totally worth it. Nothing like long hair down your back.

five. Go to anything you're invited to. If someone goes to the trouble to invite you, it's most likely something cool, and you probably will have a good time and meet some new people. Never turn down an opportunity.

6. Kiss any and all people you can. A little smooching never hurt anyone. Love is for sharing. Being a prude is overrated. Also, germs are for sharing, too.

seven. Everything is worth the wait. Most of the time.

otto. I really love "Love My Way" by the Psychedelic Furs right now. I really wish I'd been where I am in my life NOW, but in the early 80's. It's a sad thing to say, as it will never happen, but I really feel for that time.

nononine. I actually do like cats, even though I never thought I did. They're fat and soft and lay like a pillow on your and purr and don't bark. Yeah, they scratch occasionally, but they've got 'tude. I like that.

No comments: